This week we shared some delicious fresh strawberries from our local folks at Backyard Orchards. They were absolutely divine! Not only were they tasty…they were delivered right to our door from one of the owners! Talk about sweet! And since National Pick Strawberries Day is coming up on May 20th, I decided to share some health benefits and a strawberry dessert recipe from one of our residents.
Now I have been obsessed with strawberries since my days as a young girl in the 80s playing with my Strawberry Shortcake dolls. (Yes, I may be giving away my age.) But I had no idea how good they are for you! According to organicfacts.net, strawberries have many nutrients, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that contribute to overall health. These include folate, potassium, dietary fiber and magnesium. They have 150% of your daily requirement of Vitamin C in a single serving! Together, these components are responsible for the overwhelming health benefits of strawberries. Here are 6 of the Top Health Benefits of the Strawberry
- They boost your immune system. Want to stay well and fight off sickness? Eat a healthy diet, rich in this healthy fruit.
- They reduce the risk of eye related ailments. Strawberries are helpful because of the potassium they contain that helps our eyes maintain the right pressure.
- Strawberries have even been shown to help maintain normal blood pressures!
- They lower the risk of arthritis, gout and cancer.
- Strawberries have been shown to help regulate proper functioning of the nervous system.
- They also can help prevent heart diseases and reduce cholesterol.
Those are all wonderful reasons to eat strawberries! And if you are like me and are drawn to desserts with the delicious fruit…here is a link to our website with a finger licking favorite that is perfect to feature your fresh strawberries and just screams summertime.
Gardens of Daphne resident Shirley Hartley loves sharing her baking skills. She has her very own recipe book called “Squirrelly Shirley Cookbook Specials” that has sold over 300 copies. Here is one of her strawberry favorite recipes that she wanted to share!
Mother’s Strawberry Cake
1 box white cake mix
1 small box strawberry Jello
1 cup oil
1/2 cup of milk
1 cup of frozen strawberries, thawed (do not drain)
1 cup chopped pecans
Mix first 4 ingredients. Mix in eggs, one at a time. Add strawberries and pecans. Pour in greased and floured pans and bake at 350 degrees ( 9″X13″ pan for 40 minutes) or (Two 9″ pans for 20-25 minutes)
1 stick of butter, softened
4 cups of confectioners sugar
Combine until smooth-Add 1 cup of strawberries thawed and drained and 1/2 cup chopped pecans