In today’s healthcare climate, we often find the time that our physicians are able to spend with us during our visits are short and can feel rushed. There are things we can do to make the most of our time with our physician and that will help our physician in working with us to plan our care. Below is a list of 5 things to do to prepare for next physician appointment:
- In preparing for our visit, gather any information from visits to other healthcare providers since our last visit with our primary care physician. Any test results, reports or other paperwork is important to share with your primary care physician.
- All prescription medications, in their original bottle should be brought to each physician visit. Point out any new medications that may have been prescribed by another healthcare provider so your physician can add it to your record.
- A list of all over the counter medications, vitamins, herbs or other supplements you are taking.
- A list of any new health problems you are having or questions. We often get into the physician office and completely forget to tell our provider about new health problems.
- Ask questions. If your physician discusses something that isn’t clear or sounds confusing, ask questions or ask for more information.
Our physicians are our partner in helping us improve or maintain our health. It is important that we share information that our physician needs to have a full picture of our needs and any medications or supplements we are taking. Writing down our questions before the visit will help us remember the things we are concerned about and will make sure our physician has a chance to address our questions. Preparing in advance will help make the most of our time with our physician.