No matter your age, language, physical, or mental capabilities one thing is certain: Laughter transcends all barriers. It is universally shared among everyone. If someone is laughing, it is understood that something must be funny to the person laughing and we all want in on the fun! Even the most uptight people chuckle every now and then. But laughter does more than provide an escape for the moment; it also has health benefits as well.
What Happens When I Laugh?
There are a number of positve responses that are triggered by laughter:
- Your entire body relaxes, which relieves muscle tension and stress
- Cortisol (stress horomone) levels drop, minimizing pain and inflammation throughout the entire body.
- Endorphins are released. Endorphins are a natural substances that makes you feel happy and content. They have also been proven to reduce the perception of physical pain.
- Blood Pressure levels are reduced and heart rate, blood circulation, and oxygen intake are all increased.
- Laughter releases T-Cells and salivary immunoglobin A which both stimulate the immune system.
- Improves overall sense of well-being
- Stimulates both sides of the brain, which enhances learning.
- It reduces psychological stress, which keeps the brain alert and allows for the retention of more information.
So rememember to smile today! Make someone laugh or find some time in the day to seek out something that makes you chuckle. It does not matter how old you are, you are never too old to laugh! So go look for humor everyday and find something to laugh about. Remember, it’s good for you!