Not taking medications correctly affects 30%-60% of all senior adults. Reasons for non-compliance can include finances, insurance not covering medications, confusion over directionsm, multiple doctors prescribing medications, and memory loss. Problems caused by medication non-compliance include hospitalization due to worsening medical problems, falls, fractures, or overdose.
Ways to Prevent Medication Non-Compliance:
- Take a list of all medications to the doctor, each vist.
- Have the doctor review the list before prescribing new meds.
- Use the same pharmacy for all prescriptions.
- Use medication set up systems or organizers
- Have a friend or relative set up medications
- Call 911 immediately if too much of any one medication is taken